GEAR UP is funded by the United States Department of Education to help low-income students succeed in school and post-secondary education.
This is the fifth year that The Urban League of Philadelphia has provided program support for GEAR UP in the School District of Philadelphia.
Under the current Adopt-A-School model, The Urban of Philadelphia, along with consultant firm TriZen, LLC. works to bring leadership and professional development workshops to all 12 GEAR UP high schools in the district. Each school is partnered with a corporation whose employees participate in the monthly workshops.
- Ben Franklin High School and Independence Blue Cross
- Frankford High School and TD Bank
- Kensington Creative and Performing Arts and iHeartMedia
- Kensington High School and PGW
- Kensington Health Sciences High School and AmeriHealth
- Martin Luther King High School and PRWT Services, INC.
- Overbrook High School and Aramark
- Penn Treaty Middle/High School and Wawa
- Samuel Fels High School and SEPTA
- School of the Future and Comcast
- Thomas Edison High School and UPS
- West Philadelphia High School
GEAR UP Summer
In Summer 2019, two-hundred 11th grade students will participate in our summer internship program. This program will span the course of six weeks, and students will be placed in internships around Philadelphia. This program will grant them real-life work experience, and help develop their leadership qualities and personal branding through the completion of a professional development series.