Director, Public Policy and Advocacy
The Director, Public Policy and Advocacy is a strategic leadership role responsible for directing and managing the advocacy efforts of an organization. The primary objective of this position is to develop and execute effective strategies to influence public policy, drive legislative initiatives, and advance the organization’s mission and goals.
This position reports to the CEO
- Forward Thinker
- Strategic Thought Leader
- Communication (verbal & written)
- Government Relations
- Policy Analysis
Develop and Implement Advocacy Strategies:
- Identify key advocacy issues and develop comprehensive strategies to advance the organization’s agenda.
- Collaborate with executive leadership to align advocacy efforts with overall organizational goals.
- Stay abreast of legislative and regulatory developments that impact the organization’s interests.
Legislative and Regulatory Affairs:
- Monitor legislative and regulatory activities at the local, state, and national levels.
- Analyze proposed policies, legislation, and regulations to assess their impact on the organization.
- Develop positions and policy recommendations, and advocate for them to lawmakers, government agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with elected officials, government agencies, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Represent the organization at meetings, hearings, and events to advocate for its interests.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships with other organizations and coalitions to amplify advocacy efforts.
- Familiar with laws that govern civil rights
Public Relations and Communications:
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies to engage stakeholders and raise awareness of key issues.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization on advocacy matters.
- Prepare and deliver persuasive presentations, speeches, and written materials to convey the organization’s positions.
Coalition Building and Grassroots Advocacy:
- Collaborate with external organizations, community groups, and individuals to build coalitions and amplify advocacy efforts.
- Mobilize grassroots supporters to advocate for the organization’s priorities.
- Organize and coordinate advocacy campaigns, including grassroots lobbying, public awareness initiatives, and grassroots training.
Research and Analysis:
- Conduct research and analysis on policy issues, legislative trends, and political landscapes.
- Develop policy briefs, reports, and white papers to support the organization’s advocacy efforts.
- Provide strategic guidance to the organization’s leadership based on research findings and analysis.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Lead and manage a team of advocacy professionals, providing guidance, mentorship, and support.
- Set goals and performance targets, monitor progress, and provide feedback.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment that encourages innovation and professional development.
Direct Supervisory Responsibilities:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, or a related field (advanced degree preferred).
- Proven experience in advocacy, government relations, or public affairs, with a minimum of two years in a leadership role.
- In-depth knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes at the local, state, and national levels.
- Strong understanding of policy issues related to the organization’s mission.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, with the ability to articulate complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government officials, community leaders, and partner organizations.
- Strong analytical and research skills, with the ability to analyze and interpret legislative proposals and policy documents.
- Experience in managing advocacy campaigns and grassroots mobilization efforts.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to develop and implement effective advocacy strategies.
- Strong leadership and team management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Thought-leader in the area of Workforce Development
- Knowledge of SalesForce or other databases a plus
- Ability to manage and work with others in a team environment
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook)
- Knowledge of SaleForce or other CSR database a plus
Salary Range: $125,000 – $135,000
Please submit resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
The Urban League of Philadelphia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit-based factors.